Fort Yargo was built around 1792 as a means of protection from the native Creek Indians. It was one of four forts built in the area by the Humphrey brothers. The others were Fort Strong at Talasee, Fort Thomocoggan at Jefferson, and Fort Groaning Rock at Commerce. The land was then part of Franklin County; it later was part of Jackson and then Walton Counties before becoming a part of Barrow County. The building is a two-story log blockhouse measuring about 18 by 22 feet. Hand-hewn logs about 10 inches thick were used to construct the fort with wooden pegs used as fastenings. The logs are joined at the corners by interlocking wedge-shaped notches. Portholes were installed to be used in defense of the fort, and three springs furnish water.
Before 1800, Fort Yargo was inhabited by a small detachment of settlers who were well-armed and ready to aid their neighbors in nearby communities. In 1810, George Humphrey, one of the builders of the Fort, sold Fort Yargo and 121 acres of the surrounding land to John Hill for $167. The fort and surrounding wilderness are now part of Fort Yargo State Park.