Southern Circuit Tour of Independent Filmmakers Announces Venue Partners for 2014-15
Atlanta, GA _ July 8, 2014– South Arts has announced the 17 screening partners participating in the 2014-2015 Southern Circuit Tour of Independent Filmmakers. Southern Circuit, the national’s original regional tour of independent films and filmmakers, coordinates multi-week tours for invited filmmakers and their work. Filmmakers participate in community screenings and audience engagement activities. This season’s screening partners include organizations in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee.
“Southern Circuit was developed to connect audiences with new, independent films that they normally wouldn’t have an opportunity to experience,” explained Teresa Hollingsworth, Senior Program Director at South Arts. “We send directors into communities for screenings and audience discussions about their work and the filmmaking process. It creates a deeper, richer, and more engaging film experience for audiences and for the artists.”
This season’s venue partners include 12 returning sites from last season:
• City of Hapeville Association of Trade & Tourism, Hapeville, GA
• Miramar Cultural Center, City of Miramar, Miramar, FL
• Clemson University, Clemson, SC
• Indie Memphis, Memphis, TN
• Jule Collins Smith Museum of Fine Art at Auburn University, Auburn, AL
• Mary B. Martin School of the Arts at East Tennessee State University, Johnson City, TN
• Madison-Morgan Cultural Center, Madison, GA
• Presbyterian College, Clinton, SC
• The Evelyn Burrow Museum at Wallace State Community College, Hanceville, AL
• The Morris Museum of Art, Augusta, GA
• Western Carolina University, Cullowhee, NC
• Winder Cultural Arts Center, Winder, GA
New venue partners for 2014-2015 include:
• Creative City Collaborative, Pompano Beach, FL
• Oxford College of Emory University, Oxford, GA
• Robinson Film Center, Shreveport, LA
• The Tennessee Valley Art Association, Tuscumbia, AL
• Union College, Barbourville, KY
Each venue on a “circuit” will present six films and filmmakers as part of the Southern Circuit Tour of Independent Filmmakers from September 2014 through April 2015. A complete schedule including all films will be available on each of the venue partners’ websites as well as southarts.org later this summer.
About South Arts: South Arts, a nonprofit regional arts organization was founded in 1975 to build on the South’s unique heritage and enhance the public value of the arts. South Arts’ work responds to the arts environment and cultural trends with a regional perspective. South Arts offers an annual portfolio of activities designed to address the role of the arts in impacting the issues important to our region, and to link the South with the nation and the world through the arts. For more information, visit www.southarts.org.
The film schedule for the 2014 - 2015 Southern Circuit Tour of Independent Filmmakers will be posted as available. For further information on other events at the Winder Cultural Arts Center, please call 678-425-6884.