The City of Winder would like to welcome you and your business to our city. We would like to give you a few helpful hints of what, when, and where’s that you might need to take care of.
Click here for information about opening a home-based business.
Click here for a list of permits and license applications available for download.
- All business registration forms go through an approval process. The approval process includes a criminal background check, zoning check, and a fire prevention check. Payments are accepted after approval only.
- The business registration application has a place for a Federal ID # and a Georgia Sales Tax #. You should see a Certified Public Accountant to fill out the proper papers. If you do not already have your numbers please bring a copy of the papers you have filled out to be attached with your application. You may also call 1-800-829-4933 to apply for a Federal ID# or visit their website (www.irs.gov). To apply for a Georgia Sales Tax # call 404-417-4490 or go to their website (https://etax.dor.ga.gov). Business Registrations will not be issued without a Federal ID#, Georgia Sales Tax #, and Food Service Permit (if serving food).
- All business signs require sign permits. Call the Licenses and Permits Office at 770-867-3510.
- Businesses must be inspected by the Winder Fire Prevention Department PRIOR to opening. Inspections can require up to a 72 hour waiting period. Please contact the Fire Department for further details at 770-867-3212. Business Registrations will not be issued until you have been cleared by the Fire Department.
- If you change the name, sell or close the business or transfer locations your current business registration will be void. Please reapply with new information.
- If your business is located on a State Highway, call the Georgia Department of Transportation at 770-532-5563 for further information on permits.
- The City of Winder DOES NOT issue any temporary business registrations for any reason.
- Water, gas, garbage, & sewer are handled with the City of Winder. Please see customer service in City Hall, 45 East Athens Street, Winder, GA 30680 or call 770-867-3106. City Hall Office hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00am till 5:00pm.
- Electricity is handled through Georgia Power or Jackson EMC. Georgia Power can be reached at 1-888-660-5890 and Jackson EMC can be reached at 706-367-5281.
- Windstream is our local phone company and you can reach them by phone @ 1-800-501-1776.
- Any renovation to building, wiring, plumbing, and heating & air requires purchasing a permit so that it can be inspected by the building inspector. Please call the Licenses and Permits Office at 770-867-3510.
- If you are wanting to sell non pre-packaged food you will need to contact the Barrow County Health Department at 770-307-3502 for an inspection of the premises. Pre-packaged food and drinks will require a permit from the Georgia Department of Agriculture, call 1-800-786-0175 for more information.
- If you are in the Historic District, additional permits and approvals may be required.
We hope you enjoy Winder and good luck with your business. If you have any questions please call the Licenses and Permits Office at 770-867-3510.