Water Department Mission Statement
It is the mission of the City of Winder Water Department to provide our customers with a safe drinking water supply, water for fire protection, and an adequate supply of water for our essential daily needs. We do so by following stringent State and Federal distribution guidelines, such as the Safe Drinking Water Act originally passed by Congress in 1974. This act was established to set national health-based standards for drinking water to protect against both naturally occurring and man-made contaminates that may be found in drinking water. The United States Environmental Protection Agency along with State Agencies and Water Systems work together to make sure these standards are met. Our water department shall:
- Pursue additional water sources, protect current sources, and manage existing supplies.
- React in a timely, professional manner to all inquires, problems, and requests from customers.
- Maintain our distribution system, storage reservoirs, fire hydrants, and water meters.
- Protect our water distribution system from intended or accidental contamination. We do this through the creation and implementation of a Backflow Program and a Security Vulnerability Assessment. The Backflow Program is for protection from accidental contamination through the use of backflow devices at the service connections, which prevents contaminates from being pushed back into the potable water system. Our Security Vulnerability Assessment has shown us ways we can protect our reservoirs and water storage facilities from the threat of intended contamination.
- Our water department maintains a drug-free and safe working environment. Our employees attend monthly safety meetings to ensure the safest possible work habits. Our water department strives for excellence through our City of Winder Core Values by having a commitment to high standards, personal accountability, and teamwork to achieve our goals of providing value, vision, and purpose to the public.
- Application for Fire Flow and Drinking Water - Anyone needing Fire protection or Drinking Water must apply for a permit.